Say it here..

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Down and Out

Coming through the Emergency Room doors, I was awashed with too many negative emotions and too many unanswered questions. As soon as I saw his family members, I just lunged forward and hugged his Mom tight as she tried to coaxed my tears to stop. His Elder Sister and both Elder Brothers brought me aside shortly to give me the breakdown of the whole drama.

Mr Conversationalist was suspected of drink riding. He is in Emergency for the past 3 hours and has yet to be revived due to unconciousness. Families were contacted through the findings of his wallet at the back of his very tattered jeans. I burst into more tears and requested for Emergency to let me in, citing my position as his "wife". That too was declined. In fact, no one was supposed to be let in. I begged my way through but still failed.

I slumped against the door, feeling much defeated. Why did he have to do this? What is in for all of us after this? Will he survive? As I was feeling all lost and beaten, I felt a hug. It came from my cousin who rushed down upon hearing the heartbreaking news. I rested my head on her shoulder and sobbed louder. Soon, another hug engulfed us. I turned and saw my families in full force. My immediate families, Aunts, Uncles and cousins. All looking beaten and yet came in with a weak smile. I was touched.

They brought me to the cafeteria for a bite yet anything that landed on my taste bud didn't wake my senses. Not till one of my Uncle came and informed that he was out of Emergency and will be warded shortly. I swiftly moved my heavy feets and went off to the ward, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Mr Conversationalist.

As all of us stood by his bed, awaiting for his arrival, my heart grew heavy. Not sure of what to see or expect, my cousins hugged me. The emotional support, the pillar of strength. When he was wheeled in, I whimpered softly while hushed sobs were heard. He pulled through but his accident injuries were terrible. Huge abrasions on his back and front. Cut on legs, arms and face. His face swell to nearly twice than normal.

Elder Sister gave him a stern warning of not repeating the act again. He just closed his eyes and listened through. His Mom was sobbing quietly and then my Mom came to his aide. Rubbing and kissing his forehead, a steady stream of tear stained his eyeline. Mom was tearing but yet thankful that he made through. The actions wobbled my knees as they rested me on the chair. I just could not look at him. My families engulfed me in another hug as they advised me to leave the past where it was and to be there for him in moment of need.

Words of encouragements came flying and the situation was as sombre still. He saw my face and managed a weak smile. Touching his arm lightly, I slid my head next to his head rest and said, "Everything is going to be fine". He closed his eyes and tears streamed his face, once again.

Soon, my Elder Brother who has contacts with the police pulled some strings and tried to get more information of the incident. Both our brothers settled the issue that night and as the crowd thinned out, my parents advised me to stay and keep him company. Everyone came and hugged and gave me more encouragements to be strong and promising to return the next day for another visit.

Before my families left, my Aunts came to me and said, "Forgive him for what he has done. People make mistakes. Seeing that you still love him, give him another chance. Take this opportunity to show him, despite all, you are the one who is still there for him. Not his gallivanting companions." I took those words strongly and soon they left.

Just me and him, at the ward, I stroked him lightly to sleep. He must have been very worned out. His injured body lay on the bed as I looked on. The man I loved and still love. I called my Bosses slightly before midnight and they immediately put me on an official week leave. They too promised a visit soon to the hospital.

Not wanting to question his whereabouts, knowing that it is a very bad time to be "investigative", I rested my head at the foot of the bed and as I was lulled into a dreamy state. I was awokened by a buzzing vibration. I opened my tired eyes to see that his semi-alive phone receiving signal. I picked up the phone and the following conversation follows:

Caller: "Hey.. Sleeping? We want to go to the karaoke pub. Let's go!"
HurtFemale: "Huh?! Hello.. Who is this?"
Caller: "Eh sorry.. Is this HurtFemale? Is Mr Conversationalist in? This is XXXXXX"
HurtFemale: "Oh XXXXXX.. Anyways, were you guys out yesterday?"
Caller: "Why are you asking so much question? Is Mr Conversationalist there? If you want to know anything, ask him. Doubt he will, seeing that you guys are no longer together."

HurtFemale knows by now, who his companion from the previous night was. The male's way of snaking their way through just failed by me. So, in that exhaustion, I mustered enough courage to blast this male on the phone.

HurtFemale: "So much for being his friends and partying your night away together and when he is now in the hospital, nearly dying, where are you guys? Apparently and supposedly the self-confessed good friends? Are you guys even aware he is in the hospital? Yes? No? Are you guys only friends in good times? Shame on you!"

The caller just listened on to my spiteful rantings and when I was over and done with, "click", I disconnected the line. So much anger was within me. I took a walk at the lobby and went for a quiet smoke at the carpark as I reflected back on the whole situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment