Say it here..

Friday, July 2, 2010

Tiring Journey

I only rested my eyes for 3 to 4 hours a day as I was busy shuttling from home and the hospital as I do not want to leave him all alone in the ward. I cooked his favourite dishes as he abhors the bland tasteless meals but supposedly healthy. Kept him company, entertained guests that came to visit him, in short, played "mother" to him.

Our families were a tad happy seeing that we were back on track despite the accident, he got off the hook with the law with Brother's assistance and only ended up paying a fine. Soon after, he was well enough to be home and god, were we relieved. Not that I was complaining, I was a willing partner. We got hold of whatever prescription and medication for home consumption and left.

Once home, I settled him in front of the telly, lay the mattress, the lining and propped some pillows just trying to provide the utmost comfort. His Mom was off at the stall and everyone else was at work, so I cooked up some comfort food for the poor injured boy, keeping in mind not to cook any food that might lead to an itch to his injuries. All nice and fed, just as I was to rest my head on the pillow, I heard a greeting at the door. Opening my eyes, I went to the door just to find "The Good Friends" at the door, wanting to visit him. With snobbish faces they entered the house and made themselves at home. Mr Conversationalist woke up from his slumber shortly whilst I was making drinks for them.

The urge to dump poison in the drinks was so great but as logic has it, I will never get into trouble with the law for people that do not even deserve my recognition as friends. Why bother..? I left the guys to their own device and retreated to the room for a nap. I was tired, exhausted, bushed, battered in all these. A couple of hours later, his Mom came home, just in time for his bath and re-application of his medications on his wounds. I laid him to rest and resume chatting with his Mom. Seeing that he was sleeping and nothing have to be done not till the next day for his medication, I excused myself to get home as I was away for quite a couple of days.

Breathing in the familiar tingling smell of my comfortable room, I had a niggling feeling running down the spine of my back. I avoided thinking too much into it and continued doing my own stuffs. Updated my family with his condition, chatted a bit and as night crept in, I wanted to retire for the night. Before that, I thought a phonecall to his Mom would be nice just to check if all is fine.

HurtFemale : "Mom, is Mr Conversationalist ok? Did he want anything?"
His Mom: "That boy really is naughty, HurtFemale. He just left home. He said going for supper with the boys. I told him to stay home since if he is outside, he can't feed himself with the cast on his hands and all. Did he tell you where he went?"

There comes the explaination for that niggling feeling. A tear dropped hearing his Mom sighing to fate.

Hurtfemale: "Never mind ok. I will call him and ask. You better go to sleep. He is old enough to look after himself."
His Mom: "I do not know what to say to you. Maybe it "slipped" his mind that all these while you are the one looking after him eversince the accident, not his friends. You don't worry about him. You go to sleep soon."

We hanged up the phone and as I lay on my bed, I just could not stop the tears that streamed down my cheek. I was tired, looking after him, his every needs and what did he do? The first night he was out of hospital, he spent the night away with his friends. Should I resign myself to fate or should I fight on?

I called his mobile and as expected, I did not receive an answer. Soon, a text came in, from his friends, nicely telling me not to worry and that they will look after Mr Conversationalist. They were at this particular cafe hanging out and having supper. That's a nice change from his friend or was it sarcasm hiding itself?

I just wanted to close my eyes and rest. I did not want to worry about him no more. Since he can leave home and hang out, I'm sure he could put his life together. I had "mothered" him enough. With that, I fell into a deep slumber, one that I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment