Say it here..

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Nearly Biting The Bait!

As time pass by, I got used to the idea of striking it out on my own. I travelled to work by public. I shopped with the girls. I chilled with the girls. I did a huge lot of living independently. I put myself on par with the boys as I see that as a challenge for me.

Who doesn't want someone to love? Someone to call their own? To me, those mens I met were just not on par. Not addictive enough to make me stay. I still see a shadow of Mr Cadet wherever I go. I still harped on our memories though it was no longer painful now. My family thought I have lost my desire for boys and were silently worried.

One fine day, life just had to prove otherwise. The wall that I built to safeguard my soul, my heart and my fear was climbed by a stranger. In fact, a nobody. We met in a train and for god-knows-what reasons, we innocently acknowledged each other's presence throughout the train ride. Without speaking. We held an innocent gaze and smiled and we held a light and innocent conversation later on as I alight to my destination.

Turns out Mr Conversationalist's destination was way past mine and he forgo it just to take a chance for a conversation to strike. Cheap talk? Let's find out. He asked for my digits and I gave him thinking that, that will be the end of it. Nothing more. He was just someone I might have taken a fancy to during the ride and conversation.

To work I went and his image was erased just as fast as the work piled on. Not a second I remembered and as the day end as I was resting my laurels on bed, my phone rang. Seeing an unfamiliar number, I picked it up and well hello, it turns out to be Mr Conversationalist. Butterflies flutter in my stomach as his voice engulfed us in a very long midnight conversation.

We talked and talked till the birds came out, the sun nearly shine and the eyes were still hyped on the many interesting conversations that we held. I begged for pardon as I took a quick rest before I rushed for work. With sleepy eyes and an aching body, I dragged my heavy feet to work cursing the lack of sleep I just had, but I smiled thinking of the many silly conversations we had. He was no smooth talker, he was an arguer. Interesting! We held quite a couple of in-depth discussions and trust me, he did not bore me with the typical, "When I saw you, I thought a star had dropped from the sky or your eyes reminds me of the diamonds of River Nile conversations!" He was real.

Nearing evening, I received a call from him asking for directions to my workplace and tada! minutes later, he was there. We caught supper and we talked for a bit more before we decided to head home. He rode me home and we realised we were just ten minutes away from each other by the highway. Silly me! All tired but this mouth just won't stop yapping. We talked for a bit more on the phone and as soon as it hits a bit after midnight, both of us crashed to bed.

Those dates went on for a couple of months and through this conversations, we found out that we had multiple mutual friends! Even Mr Footballer is his acquantaince! Doesn't the world seem small now? Remembering my own swear, I told Mr Conversationalist of it. After the drama with Mr Footballer, I have sworn off all soccer players, childishly on my side and too cautiously too. Mr Conversationalist turns out to be a soccer player too, from a different club and I playfully told him, "Great! Now I can call you my buddy and if you have any thoughts of dating me exclusively, you can just erase it off."

Not knowing my words carried so much weight, I received a call from him a couple of weeks later, in the morning, while I was still heavy with sleep, all excited he said, "You! I declined my contract. Now we can be officially dating!" I poked at his remarks, "Yeah, we'll discuss marriage too." We laughed and I went back to building castles in my dreams.

Little did I know how serious the whole matter was. When I was up and fresh and digested the information fed by Mr Conversationalist, my eyes went wide open and my fingers dialled his number to get a confirmation on what I thought was just a dream. He gave me an affirmative and I was as guilt as charged. What is he going to do now?

We met for a bowling session that evening and he told me of his contingency plans. While I backed off at the part he hinted he wanted me exclusively, officially dating. He sensed my reluctance and the topic was never brought up again. Till that time, we were seeing each other for at least half a year. Till how long did he wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment